Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

True Life: I Canceled My Gym Membership

Ah, New Year's resolutions. The time of year when the gyms make bank on the amount of new memberships while their loyal customers often drop off the radar for a month. It's not hard to see why. Waiting 15 mintues for a treadmill isn't fun, especially when you are watching someone walk at a zero incline and a pace of 1 mph.

I'm going to admit that at the time when my fitness regiment should have been at its all time high (the 6 months leading up to my wedding) the gym was just a faint thought in the back of my mind. But Griff and I wanted to start the New Year right and get back into our regular gym routine. After all, there was only so much of a hiatus we could take before the pounds started piling back on.

So what was the first thing that I did after the New Year? Why I canceled my gym membership of course. Ha, take that you over-priced health club. Ok, ok. I'm not like super woman. I still need to go to the gym but that gym wasn't helping my waistline and it certainly wasn't helping my wallet either. Instead, we now use the gym on base....FREE of charge. Number one, it's closer to our house and number two, I can almost promise you that it isn't as packed as the health club that we used to belong to was going to be.

So what was the second thing that I did after the New Year? I changed my workout time in my schedule. Hello 5:30 am. No, I'm not kidding. When I first moved here my sister started her workouts at that time. It was easier for her...I honestly thought that she was crazy. But now I see the reasoning in it. It was so easy to come up with an excuse for not going to the gym at the end of the day.

When I was in Connecticut, that was the best time for me to go. I didn't have a house to take care of, my mom was still making dinner for me every night and Griff wasn't there to keep me occupied. Now it's a different story. After work is the worst time of the day for me to go. And not only that, the gym is only filled with serious people at that time in the morning. No people staring at the equipment like it's a foreign object, no one sitting on a bike (not pedaling) just watching TV. And I have to say, I think it could become addicting.

So with just a few days under my belt, I have no complaints. Let's just hope I don't give it that two weeks and decide that sleeping in is more appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment