Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas tree denial

This morning as I sat on at my kitchen table and drank my morning coffee, I surveyed the living room that sits to the right of me. And over in the corner sits my beautiful Christmas tree that is still green as can be and keeping most of it's needles. Maybe I'll take it down this week...or maybe I can just hold out till the weekend. I admit, I'm in Christmas tree denial.

Today is January 3rd, 9 days after Christmas Day and I have no desire to take down my Christmas tree or the decorations that are outside on our porch. I just can't seem to part with the holiday season. So many people I know took their trees down the day after Christmas. They couldn't wait to pull out those boxes and pack it all up. Not me.

As of right now, the lights from the tree are adding to the lighting in my living room. I know, lame excuse for wanting to keep an evergreen with ornaments sitting in my living room for a few more weeks. And I'm sure that I will kick myself when the needles start falling everywhere and the tree begins turning brown.

This year's tree disassembly just might be a job for my husband. I know that he's itching to take it down.

As I write this now, I think about all of the reasons that I don't want to take my tree down...the holidays came and went so quickly for us, it's that dead time of winter when there isn't another holiday in site, and we are settling in for a very long winter here in Montana....all things which feed into my Christmas tree denial.

I guess for now it will just be like the white elephant in the room. Maybe it will come down this week, maybe it will stay till the weekend. But for today, I'm going to be happy with my Christmas tree denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment