Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Dress

This weekend was fun filled and action packed as I usually refer to it. With my mom and grandma in town for only a short period of time, it was important to cram a whole lot of stuff into the time we had!

I had been planning since Griff and I got engaged to use this weekend to find the coveted wedding dress. Every girl knows that they have looking forward to finding their wedding dress since they were about 5. At least I know that I was. Through the years my taste in dresses has changed...I used to be into the "white cupcake" look...but my thought of how I wanted to look on my wedding day has never changed. If you ever watch those wedding shows like Say Yes to the Dress (c'mon you know you do), the salesperson usually says to the bride, "Tell me how you want to look/feel on your wedding day?"

My immediate answer? Stunning...

To me, there is no other word for how I want to feel. I want to look and feeling stunning. So with my brood in tow (Mom, Grandma, Sister, Future Mother-In-Law, and Future Sister-in-Laws) I set out for my dress in hopes that I would find something stunning.

As I sorted through the dresses in the shop, choosing my few to take in the dressing room with me, I was getting nervous. Nothing seemed to pop out at me..nothing said stunning to me. But I pushed on. There was no way I was going to end that day without my dress.

As the bets to what number dress I would choose were mumbled outside my dressing room, I tried on 6 dresses. Satisfied with 2, I was going to take my chances at another shop down the street (there are only 2 here in Great Falls) and hope that I would be able to say "This is my dress". I just wasn't thrilled with the 2 satisfactory choices..that's until my mom spoke up.

Now my mom knows me better than anyone else...she knew what she thought I was looking for. So she asked the sales lady if she had something that combined the 2 satisfactory dresses. After scouring the back room, she returned with a brand new dress..one that hadn't even made it out onto the floor yet...and actually never would. After being laced and buttoned, pinned, and tucked, I walked out of the dressing room, looked in the mirror and felt stunning...

Surprisingly, I didn't cry and neither did my mom (that's the real surprise) but the smile never left my face and I was a tad bit sad when I left the shop that day and had to leave my dress behind.

Some brides get that instant "feeling" when they finally find their dress, some brides are never satisfied with anything that they try on, and some brides are like me..they look past the fact that you are wearing a beautiful white (off-white, ivory, eggshell..whatever your choice) dress and suddenly see the life that they are going to live the day after wearing said dress.

To me, the thought of that was more stunning than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment