Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The 2 Month Deliberation

Never thought that you would take 2 months to deliberate over a piece of paper? Wait till you start trying to decide on wedding invitations! I mean seriously, why has it taken me 2 MONTHS to decide on an invitation? Actually, scratch that - I haven't even decided yet...

Embarassing? No. Obsessive? I'm starting to think so but I feel that I have good reason. Mainly the invitation has to match the "feel" of the wedding. The colors have to go with my theme - green, brown and a touch of orange all encompassing that barn/fall wedding that I'm going for here - my wording, my size choice, and most of all my price range.

Ahh the price range...doesn't everything revolve around the price when you're on a budget?

Griff tells the funny story of a friend of his who's getting married and the conversation that he had with his fiancee about invitations. She called to say that she found the invitations and when he asked how much it would cost, she cooly replied "Oh just $900". He told her that unless someone was personally going to the doors of each of their wedding guests to do a song and dance, they wouldn't be looking else where. But $900 isn't even that terrible. Some people will spend upwards of $2000 on wedding invites...oh but not me!

At first I was on the DIY kick..."I'm going to sit down and design these babies myself, print them on the printer in my house, and hand address them." Until I realized how much work that really is. See being a perfectionist, nothing would have been easy in that scenario. I would have agonized and obessed over the littlest things. And to top it off, not having the correct computer software would have driven me insane.

So I moved onto the "semi-DIY" invitation option..."I'll find a graphic desinger who would design the invite and then send me the files so that I can print them and assemble the invites." This is where my love of Etsy came into the picture again. Sifting through the invites for hours, I found a few contestants and fell in love with one in particular. For $50 she would send me the files to my customized invite, RSVP card and reception card...the rest was on my plate. Perfect!

Then I found a site that would send me the paper, envelopes and pocketfolds in my colors for a VERY LOW price...even more perfect! Until I was perusing their site and found the winner of a DIY contest and fell in love with her invitation...just great.

Back to square one I go and the deliberation over the piece of paper continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment