Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Friday Night at the Rodeo

It's starting to turn to summer here in Montana (notice I said turning...we're not there yet) and that only means one thing: Friday nights at the rodeo.

A totally different way to kick off my weekend then I'm used to but it's a part of the culture here. Grab a few friend, a couple of beers and head out to the biggest country showdown that the West has to offer in this day and age. It's a gathering of true cowboys, rooting for a true cowboy sport.

When I was in high school, it was customary to spend your nights in the fall under the lights, watching your hometown boys tough it out on the football field. Here, it's summer nights on the Grandstands, watching your hometown boys and girls ride the bulls, wrestle the steers, and race the perfect barrel pattern.

But what intrigues me the most is the differences that I have seen in the East coast and MidWest. Seriously, how many rodeos do you see in Connecticut, New York New Jersey, or Massachusetts? And if you have seen one in those parts, has there ever been one every weekend? Here in Montana, each city or County will host their prospective PRCA (Pro Rodeo Cowboys Association) function. And trust me, it's the place to be.

For me, the sport is really interesting. I have always loved horses and the thought of being a true cowboy. Now I'm not saying that you'll find me picking up the sport of rodeo anytime soon but I can totally see myself becoming a true fan of the old pastime. Since I've started working at the ExpoPark, I've learned so much more about the sport and will even be involved in the 5 nights of rodeo that will accompany the State Fair. 

I'm still learning...like how roughstock events like bareback riding, saddle bronc riding and bull riding scores depend upon a cowboy's performance and the animal's performance; how in timed events like steer wrestling, team roping, tie-down roping, barrel racing and steer roping, cowboys and cowgirls, compete against the clock, as well as against each other; and how mutton bustin is the start to a boy's rodeo career. Get it yet?

This year, I'll get to be a part of some of the coolest events I've come across, like "Tough Enough to Wear Pink" which is a night that everyone in the rodeo arena will support the Fight Against Breast Cancer. Running alongside that is the Chicks n' Chaps event. Any girl that ever wanted to know about the sport of rodeo will get the chance to learn three of the staple events from the cowboys and cowgirls who have made barrel racing, bull riding, and bareback riding their lives. And I'll even experience my first rodeo dance with country artist Keith Anderson as he performs live at the rodeo this summer. C'mon what is cooler than that?

This summer will be my first official Rodeo Summer and it will be chock full of nights rooting on the cowboys. For a horse lover, and a closet wanna-be cowgirl, there doesn't seem to be any better way to spend those nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment