Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Plan, Plan, Plan

People often tell me that my organizational skills are exceptional. Sometimes I stop myself while doing something and realize exactly how anal I am being. I am the type of person that organizes her closet by color and then goes one step further by organizing them by sleeve length.

Lately I feel like I am totally the opposite of my norm. I feel like my organization skills are going out the window...at the time when I need them the most.

It is always been my dream to be a wedding planner. Right now, my wedding is the guinea pig. Can I really do this as a profession? Can I be successful at helping people around the country planning the biggest day of their lives? I am trying my hardest to look at everything that I do and say, "How would I be approaching this part of the wedding if this was my client's big day?"

But I'm not sure if that's really something that I can do with my own wedding day. As I sit here with my mass of wedding magazines (my future husband can attest to the amount of magazines that I have acquired), my various lists, and the hundreds of pages that I have printed out, ripped out, and copied, I realize that I am allowed to have a little disarray. But I also realized that I must have a plan to help me sort through all this disorganization.

So armed with a plain sheet of paper and a pen, I got to working on my plan. Now I already have my checklist which I have mentioned before but that list helps me to stay focused on the big picture of the event. My new plan is getting down to the nitty gritty. It's writing out the way that my dessert table will look and listing the decorations that will adorn my venue. It's making suggestions to myself for my "Welcome Bags" and seriously thinking about a favor that can tie into our barn theme.

I went from being scattered brained to focusing in on specifics..and it makes me feel better; it almost pacifies me. I'm sure that these plans will change as time goes on but at least I haven't lost all confidence in my organizational skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment