Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bridezilla's Aren't Welcome Here

Bridezilla (n): a bride-to-be who focuses so much on the event that she becomes difficult and obnoxious; formed from the blending of the words 'bride' and 'Godzilla'.

A common term used these days for women all over the world. Heck, there's even a TV show about it. But how did it come about and why does everyone keep saying, "Wow you are so not a Bridezilla?"

I see a Bridezilla as a new breed of soon-to-wed women who abuse the idea that weddings are their 'day.' They terrorize their bridal party and family members, make greedy demands and break all rules of etiquette. They go to great lengths to ensure that they are the single most important person on the planet from the time they are engaged to the time they are married. 

So why have I decided to take the other path? Because who would want to ruin relationships and burn bridges and potentially end up on national television just to make everything about me for one day? On the same note, isn't it already a day just about me and Griff? Isn't everyone willing to do anything to make this occassion so special?

There's no need to mandate that my bridesmaids dye their hair all the same color or that Griff's groomsmen carry me into the reception (both are tacky if you ask me). There is no reason to get so upset with the cake decorator when the flowers have 6 petals instead of the ordered 8 that I knock the cake off the table (yep, saw that in an episode). It is all highly unneccesary and more dramatic than anything.

For most of them, money is no object. For others, it almost seems like the wedding is something they have to do. Some have been together for years and just expect that this is the path that they are supposed to take. Some have had shorter dating periods but are willing to spend upwards of $100,000 just so they can have the best of the best. Some get it and some don't and that's where their crazy antics come in.

They throw cakes, they tell friends they aren't allowed to be in the wedding anymore, they abuse their soon-to-be-hubby's, and they mandate the way their bridal shower/bachlorette parties are to be handled.

I even saw an article that one soon-to-be-bride ended up in jail for her stint on the show. She was seen hitting her hubby-to-be which was in direct violation of her parole. Or how about the one that bought a gun to keep hidden in her clevage because she was almost positive her ex would show up at the ceremony and try to call it all off. Crazy? I think so.

So why am I not being a Bridezilla? As I said before, I want a wedding that is a collaboration of different ideas. I want the input from family and friends. I want my day to be stress free and and not stressful. And I also want to have relationships with my friends and family after the big day.

I often wonder if I am not a Bridezilla because I am looking forward to the time after the wedding more than the time that is before the wedding. Then again, maybe it's just the type of relationship that Griff and I have; laid-back and nonchalant. We don't need lavish and expensive and we definetely aren't doing this because we feel obligated.

And I have vowed not to be a Bridezilla. It's not worth the time and effort it takes those people to get all worked up and scream and carry on. Isn't it illegal for 6 years to get married anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment